default Scouts
scout talk corner

about   « Visit the ScoutTalk homepage loginLogin to ScoutTalkjoinSignup as a new memberforget?Forgotten your old info?
Forgotten your login info?
Fill in the box below and we'll email it to you!

..Homedefault Group homepage ..Forumdefault Group forum ..Eventsdefault Group events & avtivities page ..Newsdefault Group news ..ContactContact default Scout Group

More articles by Peter:
Click here to view all

Swimmer Badge Requirements
Water Activities section book
Staying at Wiltz, Luxembourg
Annual Camp Plans book
The Lancastria
Scouting History book
CBSI Hats & Uniform History
Scouting History book
Neck /Back injury
Emergencies & First Aid book

ScoutTalk Library

ScoutTalk article...

« View all books

bookicon  Bushcraft First Aid Book  

by online statusPeter Scout display pic   

Bee / Wasp Stings

Last updated 11/07/07
One of the nasties about being in the outdoors is the possibility of a Bee or Wasp sting. This can be very sore, but more importently, a person who is allergic to bees could have an anaphylactic shock {prounounced Ana-fell-actic}which can be very serious indeed. See notes at the bottom.

If you are stung by a bee here's what to do.....

1. Using the edge of a credit car, or butter knife, carefully rub it over the stinger a tweezers might work.....BUT....
2. Be careful not to do more damage by touching the ''fleshy part' or sac because thats filled with poison and will add to the problem. The sac pulsates to push more poison into the wound and immobilise the affected part.
3. Use [meat tenderiser] or toothpaste...yes, toothpaste to help to neutalise the poison {vinegar works well on wasp stings}....and the meat tenderiser mentioned above is only if you are at home and its readily available!...blowing gently on the toothpase will give some extra relief, especially to a child.....
4. If the swellling does not stop..or the patient has trouble breathing its time to call in the emergency people....and dont forget to tell them that its a bee sting......if the sting is on or near the mouth it could lead to swelling and constricture of the throat.......
5. If you already know that you are allergic to bee stings you can get an auto-injector from the doctor to carry with you....its filled with epinephrine and could save your life! It will be good enough to delay the effects of the sting while you get to a medical centre or hospital!

Anaphylactic shock...this can occur within a few seconds of being stung etc. the symptoms are;
person will feel nauseated...may even vomit......may complain that chest feels 'tight'.....they may have difficulty breathing...or may be wheezing..gasping for air....could even be sneezing....look for swelling, particulary around the eyes.....pulse may become rapid.....the person could go unconscious.....
dont mess the meantime give rescue remedy {see my article on this}....if the patient is unconscious make sure to maintain might have to begin resuscitation, if not unconscious place in recovery position and treat for shock......

Having read this....oh! why bother going outdoors at all!!!

I note 'snake' has sugggested an aspivenim pump for stings etc. have a look at their site [] or just put the word aspivenim in the bar and press go!


This author has gone to the trouble of writing this article for your benefit. The least you could do is tell Peter what you think by rating it!

addcommentComments on this article: (5) newset first

Only ScoutTalk members can post comments
You must be signed in to view user pages
yeah i hate getting stung by wasps, when we were in luxembourg i was doing wash up and i could feel one at d top of my back so i just tryed to get it away by hiting it with owet cloth but then it went down my back and stung me
posted 8 years ago by online statussmiler   ... reply directly
You must be signed in to view user pages
Toothpaste, eh?
posted 9 years ago by online status   ... reply directly
You must be signed in to view user pages
I got bit by what looked like a golden wasp in France once, nothing beats "Aspivenim" ie a tool that sucks the poisin out of the blood. It works quickly which is good when you're writing on the ground in pain...
posted 9 years ago by online statussnake 10143   ... reply directly
You must be signed in to view user pages
Only if you want to ease the swelling and pain......
posted 9 years ago by online statusPeter   ... reply directly
You must be signed in to view user pages
so you put toothpaste (base) on a bee sting and vinigar (acid) on a wasp sting?
posted 9 years ago by online statusmcsandwich   ... reply directly


Latest newarticles   bake saletea or coffee morning   Portmarnock Young leader wins Gold   Bingo   Records 25412   Gartan OEC, Donegal   Lodge Flags   drunken man
  How do you like your Onions??   WOW!


Scout Talk Logo © 2006 - present